Thursday, January 2, 2014

Vanity - Holiday Attire

DIY Xmas SkirtDIY Xmas Skirt DIY Xmas Skirt
So this one time, I bought over 15 yards of retro looking Christmas fabric. True story. I had only one project in mind: novelty skirt. Many many many novelty print skirts. But really, how long can I reasonably wear a Christmas skirt for? Candy canes & garland, snowmen riding candy cane bikes, ornaments, and reindeer kind of scream "December".So I sadly decided to just sew up one new skirt to flounce around in for a few weeks in December and packed the rest of the yardage away for next year.

In the end, I wound up wearing it 2-3 times a week leading up to the big day. I promise I did not always wear my snow boots with it, I did however pair it with lots of bright red & green shirts and shoes. And, of course, I wore it on Christmas. Of course. Even my Grandma, who taught me to sew, loved it.

I was unpacking my suitcase from our recent trip back home to California, and when I pulled it back out I was kind of sad -- it doesn't really have a place in my closet (I'm running out of room!), so I think it may end up getting boxed up with the rest of my holiday decorations, only to make it's reappearance next November. Bummer. Time to make a Valentines skirt? Meh. Easter? Meh. When is the next good holiday anyhow?

Xmas Outfit Xmas OutfitXmas Outfit DIY Xmas SkirtDIY Xmas Skirt Lipstick - "Red Velvet" by Lime Crime  //  Cardigan - Target  //  Skirt - DIY by yours truly  //  Snow Boots - Target

I have, essentially, been doing my makeup the same way for a decade now, but I'm on a constant hunt for the perfect red lipstick -- I think I've finally found it. After trying (and failing) to find it locally, my sweet Secret Santa gifted me the much admired "Red Velvet" matte lipstick by Lime Crime.  Now I know what all the fuss has been about! I own 10 or so red lipsticks and this is, by far, my favorite. Goes on easy and has a pretty decent staying power (if you stay away from eating a big meal). I've worn it just about every day for the past two weeks, so it's safe to say I'm smitten.

7 comments:

  1. Love that skirt! Great job, Jen. Did you use a pattern or use a tut online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No pattern, but for this skirt it almost isn't necessary. However, this is a simple step-by-step for the same style: http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2009/08/sew-full-gathered-skirt-part-one-make.html

      And this is the tutorial that finally helped me conquer my fear of zippers: http://sewiknit.blogspot.com/2006/03/invisible-zipper-tutorial.html

      Delete
  2. Awesome skirt!! I love that you sew your own, makes it that much more special to wear. c:
    Thanks for the lipstick tip, I've been on the hunt for the perfect red also.

    <3
    Harlynn
    www.mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - This skirt is so easy, it's hard not to make a bunch of them.

      Delete
  3. Hello. 15 yards? Too funny. Maybe a big tablecloth for next year. I love red lipstick too, but being a dark redhead, I have to be quite careful what shade I wear. Would love to wear this one.

    I have just stumbled across your blog and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen this particular lipstick worn by ladies with all shades of hair color and every single one of them looked lovely, so I think you should give it a go if you have the opportunity!

      Delete
  4. 15 yards is pretty funny! well, you could make skirts for friends next yr for xmas gifts? but i feel like the end of nov and all dec is fair game for christmas themed things. anyway, you did an awesome job on it and i love that blouse color, you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete